Minor violations of a parenting plan are usually not serious, such as being late for an exchange or any other one-time violation. If the violation, though, is a refusal to exchange the child, or the child is taken out of state for a month without consent from the other co-parent whose visitation rights are interrupted, then civil or criminal charges can result.

Child abduction cases are generally family-related when a parent either moves without informing the other parent or simply absconds with the child. A refusal to have the child visit because of perceived abuse or other misconduct by the co-parent can result in a contempt of court order. You should consult with a lawyer from the Child Custody Attorney Group before taking unilateral action that is in violation of the parenting plan or any other court order.